Saturday, March 17, 2012

Googles total failure to know who you are

So I got an email from Google today via gmail relating to my name which appears in Google+ account. Seems their crappy system doesn't like the name "David Light", doesn't comply with their naming policy! Go figure!?! So this is the threat I got.

After reviewing your profile, it appears that the name you entered does not comply with the Google+ Names Policy. Please log in to Google+ and visit your profile to learn more and take action.

The Names Policy requires that you use the name you are commonly referred to in real life in your profile. Nicknames, previous names, and so on should be entered in the Other Names section of the profile. Profiles are limited to individuals; use Google+ Pages for businesses and other entities.

If you do not edit your name to comply with our Names policy or appeal with additional information within four days of receiving this message, your profile will be suspended. While suspended, you will not be able to make full use of Google services that require an active profile, such as Google+, Buzz, Reader and Picasa. This will not prevent you from using other Google services, like Gmail.
The Google+ team.



What am I supposed to do? Lie about who I am? Jim Balding suggested I change my name to David Dark or David Heavy! He has a good point, maybe I should. To top that, Google has no formal way to allow you to contact them, although I have challenged their request, which is all you can do.  I hope to get a response in the next 4 days. If they still don’t like me, I will be shut out…..


Your profile is being reviewed
Thank you for submitting your profile for review. Your profile will be reviewed again to see if it complies with our Names Policy. Reviews are usually completed within a few days. In the meantime, you have full access to Google+ and all other Google services.
If the review is successful, this message will disappear and you can continue using Google+. Otherwise, you'll be informed that the review was unsuccessful and provided with further instructions.
We're sorry for the inconvenience.

If I'm honest I am totally confused by this email and to some extent find it rather offensive. I am certainly not going to replace my blogger profile with my Google+ profile only to have the account shut out! 

So Google, you don’t believe who I am? Maybe do a quick search under David Light + Revit & see what you get. Check my stats for my blog. Its not like I want any hero status, but on average I am getting  approx 38,000 page views a month & this week I got around 5400 visitors. Whether this is good hell knows, but who’s making the money? For sure it’s not me! Rant over.....

4 comments :

J. Adam Thomas said...

Tell em Dave! By the way that many views is extremely good!

Chiek said...

Hi. Talking about replacing your blogger profile
with your Google+ profile, I did the same but I want it undone. Any Ideas

cadalot said...

I must follow the LIGHT (David that is)

Are you sure you are real and not just a cardboard cut out?

I'm glad my name is not "Anonymous" as I could not post this comment

cadalot said...

Ummm Typed a comment, then Google asked me to enter my email and Password as it would not let me post "Anonymously" then my original message was wiped.

I Must Follow the Light "David that is) and are you sure you are real and not just a cardboard cut out?